Table 1, Vermont Street Railways
(1) Brattleboro Street Railway (W. Brattleboro to lower S. Main St), opened 7/31/1895, 5.5 miles. Mail contract in 1898, route 303001, became part of Twin State Gas and Electric Co in 1906, no mail income shown for 1914, '15 (Vermont PUC), line closed 8/9/1923.
(2) Springfield Electric Rwy Co (Adnabrown Hotel to the Boston and Maine RR, Charleston, N.H.), opened 7/21/1897, 8.5 miles, became Springfield Terminal Rwy in 1922. Heavy on freight, mail contract in 1898, route 303002, passenger operations ceased 11/11/1947, freight in 1956.* (See photo i).
(3) Mount Mansfield Electric RR Co (CV RR station in Waterbury via W. Ctr, Moscow, to Stowe village), opened 12/1/1897, 10.5 miles (11.9 in another source). Mail contract in 1898, route
303003, line bankrupt in Feb 1907, but operated by receivers until 5/2/1932. (See photo 2).**
(4) Bellows Falls and Sextons River RR (Bellows Falls to Sextons River via Barber Park), opened 6/29/1900, 6.5 miles. Mail contract in 1900, route 303004, closed 11/24/1924.
(5) St Albans Street Rwy Co (St Albans to St Albans Bay), 7/3/1901, 3 miles. Extended to Swanton 7/1/1902, now 12.5 miles. Mail contract in 1901, route 303006, line closed Armistice Day, 1921. Mail was carried both between St Albans and St Albans Bay, and from St Albans to Swanton, with a stop en route at the Swanton Junction (Fonda Jct) PO, the location of which, previously not known to this author, is clearly shown on a blueprint map of the line.***
(6a) Winooski and Burlington Horse RR Co (Iinking Union Depot in Burlington with Ethan Allen Park, Queen City Park, and Winooski). Electrified 9/5/1893, 12 miles. Became Burlington Traction Co 11/11/1896. Mail contract income reported for 1907-08, route 303007; mail income declined sharply for last year covered by PUC reports (1915); buses substituted for electric cars, 8/4/1929.
Military Post Rwy Co (Winooski to Ft Ethan Allen, later to the CV RR
Essex Jct), 7/27/1895, 5 miles. Operated
as part of Burlington Traction, above, but mail contract income
separately; no mail income shown in 1915 PUC report. Closed with Burlington Traction in 1929.